The brake caliper is an actuator of a system that provides a smooth or emergency stop of the vehicle. A little earlier we have already considered the device, various modifications of this element, as well as the replacement process.
Now let’s focus on a subtlety that is sometimes overlooked when replacing the brake pad on each wheel. This is the grease for the guide pins and the floating bracket. Let’s consider what kind of material is needed for this and why to do it.
WHY LUBRICATE THE CALIPER
Most economy cars are equipped with a combined braking system. In such vehicles, drums are installed in the rear and a disc version with calipers in the front. Basically, they are of the same type, except for small differences (mainly in the shape of the structure or its individual parts).
Most parts of the machine move when the brake system is activated, so they need to be lubricated. In addition to extraneous sounds, non-lubricated elements will simply be blocked at the most inopportune moment. If this mechanism is faulty, movement on such a machine becomes impossible. If only because this is a requirement specified in the traffic rules.
Best Brake Caliper Grease
If you know all about the brake Caliper Grease & wanted to pick the best one, just see the table & reviews below, if you want to learn more about Brake caliper crease, read our detailed guide below.
Also Read: Best Brake Silicone Paste & Grease
Best Brake Caliper Grease | Comparison Table 2022
|CRC 05359 Brake Caliper Synthetic Grease - 8 Wt Oz||CRC||Buy Now|
|Permatex 85188 Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, 0.5 oz.||Permatex||Buy Now|
|Super Lube 92016 Silicone Grease with Syncolon (PTFE), Translucent White||Super Lube||Buy Now|
|AGS New SIL-Glyde 12 oz Tub Silicone Based Brake Assembly Lubricant for Eliminating Disc Brake Squeal - Moisture Proof, Heat Resistant, Rust and Corrosion Protector||AGS||Buy Now|
|Mission Automotive Dielectric Grease/Silicone Paste/Waterproof Marine Grease (8 Oz.) Made in USA- Excellent Silicone Grease||Mission Automotive||Buy Now|
|Sta-Lube SL3303 Brake Caliper Synthetic Grease - 12 Wt Oz.||CRC||Buy Now|
|Napa 7651346 SIL Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound Tube, 8 oz.||Napa||Buy Now|
|Loctite 40300 Disc Brake Quiet Stick - 19 g||Loctite||Buy Now|
|Genuine Ford Fluid XG-3-A Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound - 3 oz.||Ford||Buy Now|
Best Brake Caliper Grease | 2022 Products Overview
Also Read: Best Car Leather Cleaner And Conditioner
Also Read: Best Car Floor Mats
Also Read: Best Windshield Wiper Fluid
Detailed Guide on Best Brake Caliper Grease 2022
WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE CALIPERS DURING OPERATION
Among the elements that carry the highest loads are the brake calipers. When the driver applies the brake, the temperature of the pad and disc can rise up to 600 degrees. Obviously, this depends on the speed of the vehicle.
The device of this mechanism is mainly in that it cools quickly even with strong heating. However, when activating the system, the finger is always exposed to strong heat.
In addition to this element, in some cases, the floating bracket can also overheat. True, this happens more often when descending winding mountain roads. But if the driver often accelerates and brakes sharply, he can expose the caliper to such overheating.
No matter how high-quality the cooling of the mechanism was, no manufacturer was able to develop such a system that would protect the part from moisture and small abrasive particles in the dirt. To maintain the efficiency of the device in such situations, an important condition is the lubrication of the moving elements.
Also Read: Best Foam Cannon Soap
HOW TO LUBRICATE THE BRAKE CALIPERS
It should be noted that not all lubricants are suitable for this procedure. For example, if after changing the engine oil some of the fluid remains, in this case, it cannot be used.
For this, the manufacturers have developed a special pasta. In auto parts and supply stores, you can find both inexpensive and more expensive caliper lubricants. Here is a small list of the most common ones:
- One of the cheaper options is the MC1600. The pasta is sold in tubes of 5-100 grams. Convenient if you do not need to buy material with a margin;
- For vehicles operating in difficult conditions, there is a more effective lubricant than Liqui Moli. The material withstands high temperatures and high humidity well;
- If the car often moves on winding roads, TRW is a good option for such transportation;
- There is Permatex material for the braking system installed on off-road vehicles;
- The most expensive, but at the same time, is distinguished by its reliable lubricant – from the automobile manufacturer VAG;
- If the brakes make a specific noise during operation, regardless of what they are lubricated, an excellent option for such cases is Bosch paste.
What to rely on when choosing a lubricant? You should not start with the cost of the material, because each of the pastes is designed for its own type of transport and will show efficiency in the very conditions for which it was created. But you definitely shouldn’t buy the cheapest one.
Also Read: Best Dog Car Seat Covers
How to Inspect and Lube Your Brakes | Video Explanation
HOW TO LUBRICATE THE CALIPERS
There is nothing complicated about the lubrication procedure. If the driver is able to disassemble the caliper and then mount it correctly, he will take care of the lubrication. Here is a quick guide on how to do the procedure:
- We disassemble the caliper (for how to remove it and then put it back in place,
- We remove dirt and rust;
- If rust is present (and it will be in the vast majority of cars), the removal of the plaque must be done using a mechanical treatment and not some means;
- Degrease the treated surface;
- Lubricate the caliper pins, rear pads, and bracket plates;
- Usually, if a lot of greases is applied, its excess will be eliminated during the installation of the part;
- It is even easier to lubricate the piston: for this, a paste is not used, but a liquid is used. It is applied using a conventional syringe;
- We reassemble the mechanism and install it on the steering knuckle.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE LUBRICATION OF THE CALIPERS
So, not all lubricants will work with the pliers. These are the requirements for the material:
- It must withstand at least heating up to two hundred degrees;
- If the temperature on the mechanism reaches about five hundred degrees Celsius, the material should not melt and come out of the gripper. Otherwise, the parts will be “treated” with dirt instead of paste;
- It must not be washed with water and be resistant to the effects of car chemicals, which can be used when washing or processing wheels, as well as in the brake system itself (TZ);
- It is impossible for the material to react with rubber and plastic elements, destroying their structure.
Considering all these factors, it becomes clear why a special paste or liquid has been developed to lubricate these elements. For these reasons, it is not possible to use lithium or graphite grease: they will come out immediately after the first pressure of the brake pedal when the car is stationary.
Also Read: Best 5w30 Synthetic Oil
TYPES OF BRAKE CALIPER LUBRICANTS
There are two types of caliper lubricants. The first category is universal. They are used to process various parts. The second type has a narrow focus. They belong to the category of professional lubricants and are applied to each part separately.
In the arsenal of some companies you can find the following types of lubricants:
- For the brake cylinder (placed under the boot);
- Anti-squeak paste, whose purpose is to eliminate the noise for the parts that have the function of guiding the bracket during its movement;
- The material that is applied to the anti-squeak plate and the non-working part of the brake pad.
These lubricants are used by the world’s leading car manufacturers. In addition to these pastes, the companies also sell rust cleaning solutions and brake fluids.
A good option for an inexpensive analog is American-made paste, Slipkote 220-RDBC, as well as domestic MC1600 products. Both materials have good properties in contact with water and many chemicals, and the price is affordable for most motorists.
WHAT IS THE BEST CALIPER LUBRICANT?
First of all, you should pay attention to the lubricants that the manufacturer recommends using. If unsuitable material is used, it can sinter during braking and block the device.
The most important condition is thermal stability. In this case, the lubricant will not lose its properties even in active mode. If you use materials that do not withstand high temperatures, they quickly lose their properties due to drying.
Often, the pad material is not designed to lubricate anti-squeak parts or fingers. This will definitely be indicated on the pasta packaging.
Also Read: Best Car Cover For Extreme Sun
WHEN THE LUBRICANT IS INEFFECTIVE AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED
It often happens that motorists are trying to repair the breakage of some elements of the caliper by lubricating them. It is worth considering that lubrication provides only smooth movement of the elements, but does not eliminate their development.
For this reason, if the parts began to beat due to severe wear, it would be correct not to apply a thick layer of paste, but to replace the mechanism. Some parts are repaired using a repair kit.
And in conclusion, we propose to see what the procedure looks like on the example of a specific car:
Well, This was all about Best Brake Caliper Grease, If you want to send us feedback on this guide feel free to contact me in the comment below.
Hi, I am David Bailey a dedicated writer from Linden Bridge School with a degree in mechanical engineering and a degree in marketing. I strive to simplify complex subjects and like to explain complex and technical matters in an easy-to-understand manner. Read More Here